Tuesday, August 14, 2007

HELLO HOSPITAL!


Yes, that's right. Kenedee had her first visit to the hospital last night, not fun. This sickness came out of nowhere, poor girl can't catch a break right now. First the flu three weeks ago, then pink eye last week, now this! So yesterday afternoon I was putting her down for a nap around 4. She had fallen down and was all upset so when I picked her up she felt pretty warm to me but I thought it was cause she was all worked up. So I laid her down at 4 and she woke up at 5:30 crying. When I went in to get her she was trying to stand up in her crib and was shaking, so I pulled her up and she was super hot. I gave her some tylenol and took her temperature - 103.2! I was thinking that was a little intense. Of course the doctor is now closed, so I called the Nurse Hotline to see what I should do. They said that's a pretty high temperature but if her disposition is good than wait til tomorrow to bring her in. She's always happy though, so that doesn't tell me anything. Of course here she is smiling and laughing with this insane temperature. So we don't take her to Urgent Care since she's for the most part, pretty happy and attentive. I put her down at 8:30 and wake her back up at 9:30 to give her more medicine. At 10:30 she starts crying her head off in her crib, so we go in to get her and she's on FIRE!!!!!! Her temperature was 105 degrees!!!!!!! I freaked out! I know babies can handle temperatures better than adults but what baby is supposed to have a temperature that high and deal with it. So I called the Nurse Hotline who then contacts my doctor. They said since she's had this insane temperature for more than 6 hours now and it hasn't come down, it's time to take her in to the hospital. So we pull in to the Children's Hospital at midnight, no fun. Of course we don't see the doctor until 1:30 in the morning. Other than her temperature, she has no other symptoms, you'd never know she had a raging temperature. So the doctor checked her ears, checked her temperature (which was still around 103), gave her motrin, checked for a UTI by giving her a catheter (I had to strap her down on the hospital bed while she screamed her head off, not fun). Her urine came back clean so the doctor said it must be a virus and there was nothing they could do for her, not cool. We headed home at 3 with a baby on fire and woke up today at noon. Cross your fingers that her temperature goes away by tomorrow night cause this Birthday Girl is supposed to have a sweet party!!! You'd never know by these pictures that she has a crazy temperature.


8 comments:

Kristen said...

Poor Kenedee! Sounds like life has been rough for her lately. Tell her to get ready for aunt kristen and uncle matt to spoil her rotten in a few weeks :)

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Oh how sad...poor little thing. That is the part of being a parent I don't like. I hate to see my kids sick like that. I hope she is doing better. We have had plenty of nights sitting in a cool bath while eating a popsicle trying to cool kids down...scary stuff!

Get better tiny kennedee! (from big kennedy)

Tiff and Dave said...

I'm so sorry! It is definitely scary when our kids get sick. I think I would have freaked out too, if Brynlee's temp was 105. That is so hard that there really isn't anything they can do for her. She is such a cutie and it is amazing how happy they can be when they feel so rotten. We adults need to take some lesson! :) Thanks for posting and I hope she gets better soon!

Elise said...

I am so sorry! We don't even live next to each other and some how Conner got Kennedee sick. Conner had a fever for about 2 1/2 days and Doctors said the exact same thing. Well, I am happy to say he is acting a lot better so hopefully Kennedee is better, especailly for her Birthday party!
(can't wait to see the pictures)
Happy 1st Birthday Kenedee!

Katie said...

I HATE viruses. they always say there is nothing they can do. I hope she feels better soon.

Jackie said...

Scary stuff! I hope she feels better soon.

At least she looks darling in the hospital gown. :)

the meyersons said...

My heavens! I hope she is getting better fast. It's just too bad to have someone so cute in a hospital!

I totally recognize her Children's Hospital Jammies!

Barlow Fam said...

That is so sad. I'm glad she was finally able to PARTY! Looks like a darling flower theme. I keep getting so many ideas for birthday parties, maybe I'll have to steal your flowers. Did you make the balloon flowers?