
Yesterday was a crazy day! It all started when my mom called that morning and asked if we were having crazy storms. It was overcast but no signs of any storms in our area. I didn't think too much of it since we just had super nice weather the last two days and it hadn't rained yet. We headed out to dinner last night with my sister and her husband. After which we came back to our house to watch a movie. As we walked out of the restaurant we could see lighting everywhere. I said to Adam, 'this must be the storm my mom was talking about.' We started to make our way home and lighting was going off everywhere around us, along with pea-sized hail hitting our car. It hit out of nowhere so we checked the weather on the radio and it said we had a 'Severe Thunderstorm Warning' for our area. Now if you've ever experienced a thunderstorm in Atlanta, you'd know it's not a fun one to experience. I've never experienced storms like this back West cause the lighting/thunder are kicked up about 100X stronger. So we finally arrived home around 9:15. We got soaked running from our driveway to the front door but we made it safely inside. We didn't think much of it cause it settled down about 15 minutes later. We watched 'Dan In Real Life' with Kellie and Steve and during the movie Adam's boss texted him asking if we were surviving out here. We thought that was weird, we just had a crazy storm but that's it. So the movie gets over and Kellie and Steve take off around midnight. Adam then gets another text from his buddy asking if we were alright, we look at eachother and said 'what is going on!' That was third time someone was checking in on us. So we turned on the TV to see that a tornado had hit downtown Atlanta at 9:40 pm. Which meant that was the same storm we drove home in from dinner which then proceded to the downtown area where a tornado struck. It damaged the CNN Center, the Phillips Arena (where the Hawks play), the Georgia Dome (where the Falcons play and a basketball tournament was going on), the World Congress Building, part of Georgia State (where Adam goes to Law School), and condos all around downtown. We live about 15 miles from downtown so I'm soooo glad we didn't have the tornado sirens going off last night, those are the creepiest sounding sirens I've ever heard! But yeah, it was crazy. Today we've still been on 'thunderstorm/tornado' warnings with the sirens finally going off today around noon, but luckily it passed over us! Phew!
Here's the LINK if you want to check it out.
8 comments:
Kandis, I saw on the TV's at the gym that there were some tornado happening in Atlanta, and I was thinking of you guys. Glad to hear that you are ok! Those storms can be pretty crazy, and it is definitely never fun when the sirens go off. You never know if you should take them seriously and get to the basement, or just kind of blow them off. Did we ever tell you about the tornado that we survived in KC....Pretty crazy! Anyway, glad to hear you are ok!
Wow! How scary! Glad you guys are okay!
Glad you guys are o.k. SCARY stuff!
I am glad you guys are ok. I still remember the rain storm after the Georgia Tech football game and those who were trying to give us shelter!! We were soaked!!!
WOW! I'm so glad we don't have to deal with that here in Idaho. I'm glad you guys were able to steer clear from it.
I thought I saw your husband on the news pulling people out of burning buildings and stuff...he's amazing.
My mom was stuck at the Atlanta airport trying to fly out to Vegas standby for a wedding last minute. She was having no luck & had no idea what the weather was doing outside. She decided to just buy a ticket bc her chances weren't looking good. So, she got out & BARELY missed the tornado. Crazy!! I'm glad ya'll are ok!!
Post a Comment