Friday, November 7, 2008

AND IT KEEPS ON GOING


Did they forget who is spreading the real 'hate' and 'fear' right now? Threatening to harm and kill 'Mormons' and everyone else who supported this ban. This article is so disturbing to say the least.

I'm assuming most of you have heard about this now. It's just so sad they have become so outraged with all of this and are now targeting our Church. Did they forget the other 50% of Californians that also supported this Proposition and probably hundreds of other Churches. Thousands of protesters gathered in front of the LA temple and it is supposed to happen today in front of the SLC temple. Again, WOW.
Protesters at the LA Temple

Jeff Flint, Strategist for the Yes on 8 Campaign said "I am appalled at the level of Mormon-bashing that went on during the Proposition 8 campaign and continues to this day," he said. "If this activity were directed against any other church, if someone put up a website that targeted Jews or Catholics in a similar fashion for the mere act of participating in a political campaign, it would be widely and rightfully condemned."

If anyone of our faith or not of our faith wonders why the Church did get involved with this Political issue, the Church responds by saying...

"Most likely, the election results for these constitutional amendments will not mean an end to the debate over same-sex marriage in this country.

We hope that now and in the future all parties involved in this issue will be well informed and act in a spirit of mutual respect and civility toward those with a different position. No one on any side of the question should be vilified, intimidated, harassed or subject to erroneous information.

It is important to understand that this issue for the Church has always been about the sacred and divine institution of marriage — a union between a man and a woman.

Allegations of bigotry or persecution made against the Church were and are simply wrong. The Church’s opposition to same-sex marriage neither constitutes nor condones any kind of hostility toward gays and lesbians. Even more, the Church does not object to rights for same-sex couples regarding hospitalization and medical care, fair housing and employment rights, or probate rights, so long as these do not infringe on the integrity of the traditional family or the constitutional rights of churches.

Some, however, have mistakenly asserted that churches should not ever be involved in politics when moral issues are involved. In fact, churches and religious organizations are well within their constitutional rights to speak out and be engaged in the many moral and ethical problems facing society. While the Church does not endorse candidates or platforms, it does reserve the right to speak out on important issues." To read more about their response to the Vote and why they got involved, read here...
Church Responds to Same-Sex Marriage Votes

6 comments:

Criscell said...

It's so sad what's happening. I heard the riots at the LA temple were just horrible. But I guess it's to be expected. Do we live in the last days or what?

Zach and Sarah said...

Thanks for all of the posts--I've wanted to copy and paste every single one on my blog, but thought that might be a little plagaristic (I just made that word up:) It is so interesting to me that all of the articles and newslines shout "Gay rights setback" instead of "Traditional Marriage Preserved." How thankful I am to be a member of a Church that is willing to fight for morality and the upholding of God's laws. I'm certain we will be fighting this issue (and other moral issues)for the rest of our lives--and I plan on standing on the side of right. (Not what people perceive as civil rights--but what is considered right by God.) Hmmm, maybe I'll copy and paste this on my blog.

Unknown said...

Kandis,
I found your blog. Those articles are crazy. How sad that our world has come to this. I wonder if our church leaders will address this issue more. Cute blog by the way...Heather

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Good grief! I wonder if this is what President Hinckly meant when he said things were just going to get worse!

Rachel said...

I'm so sick of all this Prop 8 stuff. I've spent almost every day the last month knocking doors and holding signs on the street to try to encourage people to vote YES on traditional marriage. I'm afraid there is no end in sight.
I'll be home Thanksgiving weekend. I'd love to get together. I'll give you a call when I get into town.

Amber said...

Isn't it all so crazy and sad? Thanks for posting about it. It's very reassuring and a little frightening to go back and read prophet's and apostle's statements from years past on these types of issues. Obviously, so prophetic.