Tuesday, November 4, 2008

'HOME INVASION' - seriously???

This commercial is airing today in parts of California as a last ditch effort for 'No on Prop 8'. Let me just say WOW!
HOME INVASION

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has responded by saying...
“The Church has joined a broad-based coalition in defense of traditional marriage. While we feel this is important to all of society, we have always emphasized that respect be given to those who feel differently on this issue. It is unfortunate that some who oppose this proposition have not given the Church this same courtesy.”

Seriously. The opposition to the 'Yes on Prop 8' campaign is demanding freedom of speech and everything else from all of this, but they have sure been unwilling to accept that same freedom of speech from the Prop 8 campaign. Accusing the Church and its members of being 'hateful' 'bigots' 'racist' and everything else, they have turned that back on themselves by how they have been behaving through all of this. Go Prop 8!

"Make no mistake about it, brothers and sisters, in the months and years ahead, events are likely to require each member to decide whether or not he will follow the First Presidency. Members will find it more difficult to halt longer between two opinions. President Marion G. Romney said, many years ago, that he had 'never hesitated to follow the counsel of the Authorities of the Church even though it crossed my social, professional or political life.'

"This is hard doctrine, but it is particularly vital doctrine in a society which is becoming more wicked. In short, brothers and sisters, not being ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ includes not being ashamed of the prophets of Jesus Christ. . . . Your discipleship may see the time when such religious convictions are discounted. . . . This new irreligious imperialism seeks to disallow certain opinions simply because those opinions grow out of religious convictions.

"Resistance to abortion will be seen as primitive. Concern over the institution of the family will be viewed as untrendy and unenlightened.... Before the ultimate victory of the forces of righteousness, some skirmishes will be lost. Even in these, however, let us leave a record so that the choices are clear, letting others do as they will in the face of prophetic counsel. There will also be times, happily, when a minor defeat seems probable, but others will step forward, having been rallied to rightness by what we do. We will know the joy, on occasion, of having awakened a slumbering majority of the decent people of all races and creeds which was, till then, unconscious of itself. Jesus said that when the fig trees put forth their leaves, 'summer is nigh.' Thus warned that summer is upon us, let us not then complain of the heat." (Neal A. Maxwell, "A More Determined Discipleship," Ensign, February 1979)

7 comments:

Criscell said...

Oh my GOSH! That ad is absolutely disgusting!! I can't believe the lengths the Liberals are willing to go to get Prop 8 not to pass. How extremely sad. We had a regional Stk. Conf. here in AZ on Sunday and Pres. Packer talked to us about voting for Prop 102 here. I am on pins and needles waiting to find out if it passes tonight! Pray hard America! GO Prop 8 & 102!

Greg R. said...

That is a great quote...really hits home. It's interesting to see that quote was from 1979.

Amber said...

Kandis-- I just put a nearly-identical post on our Dahl Family blog-- great minds think alike! Keep praying today!

Elise said...

Seriously when I saw that I was so disgusted. We have been watching the news all night and morning. We are still leading! Oh, and great pumpkins. What a fun tradition. I will have to add that one into our many Halloween tradtions!

Tiffany W said...

That commercial is awful! I don't even know how to respond to that, I'm speechless. I don't see how fighting for an issue (which many people are doing whether they are members of the church or not), just like they are, makes it so that we are taking away people's rights. And I really hate that they portray our missionaries doing that. Just awful!

Jones Family said...

Hey this is Julie and Chez. We are trying to set our blog up as private. I think we accomplished that. I just need your email address to invite you to read our blog now that it is private

Kandis said...

Hey Julie,

My email is kandis.barlow@gmail.com. Glad you asked cause I look at your blog frequently and checked today and got blocked. You guys are quite the traveling family!

kandis