Sunday, March 21, 2010

Hike to the WIND CAVES

Saturday (yesterday) was a BUSY BUSY day for us, just one of those days where you're going going going. We started out our day with a hike up to the Wind Caves (at Usery Mountain). We went with Adam's Aunt/Uncle (the Uncle he works for) and their kids/families. The weather was gorgeous (sorry to keep mentioning the weather but we're LOVING it right now, August not so much) so the hiking conditions couldn't have been better.

I started to see Kenedee's competitive side come out on our hike (which is no surprise since Adam and I are both very competitive) but it made me laugh seeing her want to beat everyone up the mountain. She HAD to be the leader (of our twenty or so people group) and loved hiking up the mountain. I was proud of her though, it wasn't the easiest hike for a 3 year old, which took us about an hour and a half up. She lead the group (no joke) the entire way but never had us waiting on her, we actually were stopping a few times along the way to let everyone else catch up. We're headed to Zions with my family in a few weeks so I'm excited because she loves it. Here's our little leader headed up the mountain...

Waterbreak - Parker, Lincoln, Adam, Kenedee, and Maya

Family Pic along the way -

BEAUTIFUL! I didn't think I'd be saying this in a desert but it's so green right now from all of the rains. It was gorgeous hiking up the mountain and looking out.

We finally made it to the top!

'WE MADE IT!' (Uncle Mark & Aunt Kay with Parker (their son) and grandkids)

I love this pic! (I love that we're silhouetted against the background)

Our little hikers - don't worry, Kenedee now has tennis shoes for Zions. I felt so bad that she hiked for three hours in crocs that I bought some last night.)

View of the East Valley (top pic) and downtown Phoenix (bottom pic)

Maybe it's my Lake Powell roots coming out but I think this is gorgeous, the red rock, desert plants, and wild flowers in full bloom - BEAUTIFUL!



This might be a new yearly tradition for our fam!

We finished the hike, raced home to change clothes, and BARELY made it for a Temple Family Sealing (for a family in our Ward). Afterwards we headed home, put the kids down for naps, ran to the grocery store, got home with just enough time to put away the groceries, left the kids with a babysitter, and went to a friends' house for a St. Patrick's Day GREEN party. It was a busy one but a FABULOUS Saturday.

6 comments:

Meagan said...

Fun, Fun, Fun. I love taking my kids hiking. Good luck on transforming your yard too. Can't wait to see the end result. Thanks for posting that tie idea too. I am totally going to try that.

Criscell said...

We love to hike too! Isn't it awesome to be able to do it in March? Can't do that in Idaho, that's for sure!

Kellie said...

I am glad you bought her SHOES for hiking. That would suck to hike all that in crocs, poor girl ;) Maybe she is too small to notice. Sweet hike and good pics.

tashina birch said...

AZ Desert, there is definitely NOTHING else out there like it! :) your house looks great! I cant believe the tranformation! Looks like something out of a tv show. Awesome job.
We have been talking about getting together for another dinner with everyone, let us know if you guys want in!

Leah said...

Hey Lady!! What a cute blog! I just found you through Sarah...I loved reading through all the updates of your sweet family. And thanks again for having us over the other day...your house is lovely!

Elise said...

I am going to call you! We need to catch up, again! xoxo