Saturday, November 6, 2010

One Traumatizing Afternoon

This was a first for me today: almost shedding a tear for a neighbors pet. It is true and I've been a little traumatized all evening. One of those sick 'ugghh' feelings in your stomach. We watched a cat get killed today in front of our own eyes and it was kind of a shell shocker to say the least. And if you know me, I'm no lover of pets: sorry it's true. But I think the fact that I've been allergic to cats and dogs my entire life has never made me want to love them, is that bad? Okay, maybe that sounds worse than it is, but I've never felt that bond to an animal until maybe today when we watched a helpless cat get murdered right in front of us...

It was a beautiful afternoon, seriously beautiful today. We had taken the kids to the grass field behind our house to hit some golf balls. After a few rounds of hitting and retrieving we decided to head back to get ready for our evening out. As we were picking up our stuff two huge dogs come running at us with no one following them. I instantly grabbed my children cause again, sorry to say, I don't trust animals too well, especially big fast dogs. They left us alone and ran on by only to turn around and run by again, seeming harmless. We walk down the path to our house (dogs running ahead of us, still no owner in sight). We walk down the sidewalk to our house and walk up the driveway. At this point the dogs have run to the end of the street and have made their way back toward us. I pointed out to Adam that our neighbors white cat wasn't liking these dogs and hiding on the side of the house (between our house and the neighbors). As the dogs make their way back one eyes this cat, runs over, feet in front of us, and they both do the stare down. The cat raises its back like you see in cartoons and in a matter of seconds the dog sprints after the cat - all happening feet in front of us. The cat makes a dash for the backyard wall, can't make it up with all the craziness going on, and turns to race around the house. I see this happening, shove Kenedee in the garage and turn to see the dogs (both on the cats tail now) sprint full speed past me, barely miss Lincoln who was standing in the middle of the driveway, and run to the other side of our house. I instantly grab Lincoln, shove him in the garage and yell at them to go inside. Adam and I are too shocked with all that's going on that we stand guard (maybe idiots as I look back). The cat can't get away, runs back across our driveway and back to the original neighbors house. The dogs reach it before it can get to cover. We hear crazy barking, screams from the cat, the dogs throw the cat on the cement as it tries to get back on its feet...kind of brutal to witness, not gonna lie. Adam and I look at each other, not a soul in sight to help us out. I tell him to do something, we were watching this poor cat get murdered right in front of us. Adam grips his golf club, runs cautiously over to the dog and slams the club down on his back. Now that I look back, I was an idiot for telling him to do something. The dog could so easily have attacked him and what was I going to do. It scared the one dog off, Adam backed up towards me, and we both look at each other again. It was too risky to go smack the other dog, I'm still surprised the one didn't go after him in all the rage the dog was in. Seconds go past, and we sit there helpless not knowing what to do. A man comes running down the street (no shoes on, clearly the owner) and starts yelling for his dogs. Adam tells him that the dogs are killing this cat and the guys runs over to them. He can't get control of them as they keep doing who knows what to the cat. He finally grabs them both and walks away. The neighbor walks out (cat's owner) and Adam tells her what just went down...two dogs were trying to kill the cat, he did what he could, but couldn't get them both away. We all look under the bush where the show-down happened and see the lifeless cat laying there....ugghhh....neighbor starts bawling...can't control herself. It felt horrible to watch that happen and know we couldn't have done more, those dogs were crazy scary in action! The kids asked a million questions. What happened to the cat, did dad kill the cat - heck no he tried to rescue it, the cat died!?, where do cats go, cats go to heaven with Jesus? and so forth. For the rest of the night all Lincoln could say was 'those dogs killed that cat'. Yep, they did. I still can't believe these two dogs turned on that cat immediately and killed it, it was awful! Sorry dog species, you lost big points in my book today. I might be forever afraid of your kind.

7 comments:

Barlow Fam said...

Good grief. That is one of the many reasons I've sworn never to have a big dog. Ever. Don't think my little maltipoo would win any fight. That's a horrible thing to watch. You're going to have to sing primary songs at night to keep that image out. Sheesh.

Katie said...

sad.. i don't even like cats. (or dogs really)

Rebecca said...

That is horrible! I am so glad you guys made it out unharmed--I can't even imagine!

Unknown said...

Yikes! I feel your pain...sort of. I saw two chipmunks murder another one last summer-- it was awful! Hopefully, it doesn't scar you for life

Jones Family said...

The poor cat and poor you for seeing it. Not sure I would just let that one go if I was the owner of the cat. I hate it when I see dogs on the loose. If you cant keep your dog under control then you shouldnt have one at all I think

CYD said...

how traumatizing! i'm w/ you on pets. all my neighbors have huge dogs and i'm freaked out by them. good luck getting that out of your mind!!

Kellie said...

crazy story, you always have them though. Can't believe the dog owner thought it was no big deal.