Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Unwanted little friends

Last Saturday I decided to make a Carseat blanket cover for baby #3 (one where the blanket has straps on it that velcro to the carseat handle). I knew it would be a quick project to make and wanted to get the carseat out so I could clean it up. My quick morning turned into a whole day process...not a fun one either.

Our baby carseat has been in a garbage bag for 2 years now, in the garage, and through two Arizona summers. Needless to say, I was a bit nervous to open up the bag thinking I'd discover some spider, scorpion, or insect friends. I slowly opened it up outside and to my surprise, nothing! Phew. So I brought the carseat inside so I could measure the blanket over the carseat before I made it. And within no time, had a new carseat blanket.


After I finished up the blanket, I wanted to wash the material part of the carseat so I started to take it off carseat...and to my surprise found little weevil worm friends crawling around...SICK!!!!! I ran the carseat outside and continued to take off the rest of the cover part of the carseat. I only found about 8 live ones crawling around but their shell remains were everywhere. Seriously so sick! My new baby could not be sitting in this. (And if it was a cheapo carseat I probably would have thrown it away at this point, but I couldn't throw my Britax away) So I then deconstructed the entire carseat, taking off every material part that could be washed, scrubbed down all of the foam, took apart the airbag head protector, took off the styrofoam back part, and hosed out the plastic base of the carseat. After every part of the carseat was washed, I inspected every crease and crevice to make sure NOTHING was left. I put it all back together and brought it inside to keep it safe and sound til baby arrives. I still have squirmish thoughts thinking they could be crawling around inside the carseat but after checking every few hours/days, I'm pretty sure this thing is good to go. It made for one sick Saturday but soooo glad I did this now instead of waiting til the baby came! Here's one clean carseat!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

SO gross! Now I am thinking I should go get mine out of storage to see what I find. Hopefully nothing! Very cute carseat cover!! Good luck with baby #3!

Dennis said...

Too bad you couldn't put your carseat outside in Idaho Falls. You could have frozen all those little critters. - Annell

Criscell said...

Yuck!! What a pain for you--so sorry! I'm afraid that's going to happen to all my furniture in storage for the past year! Love your carseat cover though. Cute!

Chelsi said...

oh that is nasty. Glad you got it all cleaned out. The cover turned out way good though!!