Sunday, May 25, 2008

OUR BACKYARD TRANSFORMATION!

When I first married Adam, Mr L.A. city-boy, I never imagined he'd become Handyman of the Year, seriously he wins the award. He was set on planting grass and building a deck in the backyard, and it came true!!! Once he's set his mind on something, it doesn't take long for him to complete it - first renovating our bathroom, building the breakfast bar in the kitchen, building the wood pillar on our front step, and now this impressive deck. (A special thanks to my dad, Kurt, & Steve who also helped in this crazy project, zero instructions included) Enjoy our backyard total transformation...

GRASS: Before and After


DECK: Before and After


STEP ONE: Laying the Foundation


STEP TWO: Framing


STEP THREE: Laying the deck boards & Building the Rails


STEP FOUR: The Stairs (this took a little longer since Adam was now on his own from this point on. He built these amazing corner stairs plus another set of stairs on the other side)


STEP FIVE: The Benches & Planter Box (Adam thought up/built the planter box and benches as well, he's amazing!)


STEP SIX: The Umbrella (We found this pretty sweet umbrella over the weekend, a must-have in the Georgia heat!)

13 comments:

Heidi said...

I must say I am TOTALLY impressed! I wish I had such mad skills. That is going to be so nice for the summer, I bet Kennedee is going to LOVE it!

Hannah Ashmore said...

Awesome deck! Way to go boys!

Kristen said...

Dude - that's pretty awesome. Kristen would never even let me attempt something like that... not like I need her permission, I'm just saying.

Bryan and Marissa said...

Guys that is such a sweet deck! I am totally amazed that they built that!

Rachel said...

WOW, it looks great. You have done a ton to that place. Are you guys there to stay?

The Ahumadas said...

Wow, that was pretty impressive...for a novice. I remember when "the red car" was literally up in smoke and instead of fixing it, Adam just ran inside of a gas station for help. We sure could have used his "handy man" skills then!

the meyersons said...

The deck of my dreams some how got to your house!

Looks amazing!

giff.jenna.maddox.jordi nielsen said...

Adam, you are amazing! Major props! Kandis, youre a lucky girl! The deck looks sweet! You guys are going to have so much fun out on that deck! I wish we were close by to enjoy it too! I'm totally impressed with how you guys are do everything yourselves! It gives me courage! GOOD JOB!

Jocelyn Allan said...

Looks great guys! We are still trying to get our back yard in--it's a huge pain! I'm jealous you are done.

Elise said...

LOOKS AWESOME! I only wish we lived closer so we could have some family bbq's!

Tori said...

Oh my gosh! This is amazing! You guys should be featured on some show or something. I have been DYING for a backyard lately. Or any type of yard at all, for that matter! You are so lucky.

Tiff and Dave said...

VERY IMPRESSIVE!! Way to go Adam!!

Clark said...

Yeah dude, that deck is awesome. I'm thinking about doing something similar for my own house when I get one. Not many people know about the handyman side of the Barlows. It's a hidden secret we rarely reveal until a project comes calling our name. That's when we lace up and go to work. All in all, I'm very impressed.