Tuesday, February 23, 2010

fifty lunches

My new calling at Church is Humanitarian Leader. To be honest, I wasn't quite sure what this calling meant or what I would be doing but I've been caught up to speed and I'm quite excited. Pretty much I find service projects either through the church at our local Humanitarian Center or organizations around the city that need help. I find a project, use the members to complete it, and then find a new project, etc. The first project which was already planned for the Ward was providing 50 lunches to a Homeless Mens' Shelter. I was kind of overwhelmed at all of the supplies I would be needing to gather... 100 sandwiches, 50 chips, 50 pieces of fruit, 50 desserts, and 50 water bottles. It's not the easiest asking members to donate when they themselves might be hurting for money. But we're asked to serve so the sign-up sheet went around. It only made it back through half of the class at Church one week and the ENTIRE thing was filled out, I was shocked and extremely grateful for their willingness to serve. The items were delivered to my house yesterday and today was the big day to deliver. People donated more than they were asked to so we ended up with tons of food, it was amazing! Here's what 100 sandwiches look like in a refrigerator, crammed in every little space possible (good thing our fridge was almost empty in the first place)...

My little helpers were so excited to help me carry all of the food to the car today. I asked if I could take a picture and they just stood there beaming!


It's been one of those feel-good days...I'm quite excited about this calling! Now I need to figure out what project is next... stay tuned.

3 comments:

Sarah S. said...

Way to go Kandis! What a good mom you are for getting your kiddos involved as well.

Kellie said...

wow arent you the coolest! That will be some good service.

Crissie said...

Yay!! I'm so glad that everything went well. The sign up sheet never even made it to me. Don't we have such an awesome ward? I always enjoyed the lunches project. However, I'm glad to hear that it's down to 100 sandwiches now. We always had to do 200! Luckily my assistant had an empty fridge in her garage for us to use. :)