Sunday, February 21, 2010

the Sewing Machine returns...

SHIRT REFASHION
I've been so busy with the kids, house, and work since we've moved in that I haven't had any time to work on sewing projects. But I finally busted it out two weeks ago and made a few things for Kenedee. I bought her some solid long-sleeved shirts to layer with during the winter here. Well... since we wore our Winter clothes for about a month or two, she maybe wore those shirts twice. So I decided to cut the sleeves off and make a cute t-shirt for her. I used the leftover fabric from the sleeve & added another sheer fabric to make the ruffles down the front. They turned out super cute. I have plans to do this for a white and black long-sleeve shirt as well, which would go perfect with her twirly skirts!

I also used some of the leftover fabric to make this headband for her. Love it!

Up close and personal...



SHIRT INTO DRESS
Kenedee has these shirts that I love but are getting too short for her. I found a piece of fabric on sale for $2 and had an idea in my head of making it into a dress using Kenedee's hot pink shirt. So I sewed a skirt first, out of this fabric, making the pleats at the top showing them come up and above the belt (I love this look and want to try it on me as well, but I still need to figure that one out). I sewed the simple white belt to wrap around to complete the look. I thought it turned out pretty cute. I'll have to take a pic with her in it cause I think it's even cuter on. Hopefully I can bust a few more things out these next few weeks cause I want to try so many things!

Not cute... but Lincoln wanted a picture of him as well (don't look too closely since the morning shower had not yet happened). Lincoln was also getting over a fatty lip, not pretty!

6 comments:

Amy said...

Seriously so in love with your sewing projects! Wish I could of come with Kevin so you could show me some things they are all so cute. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Shaunte' said...

That dress is too dang cute...Love it!Hope this finds the Barlows doing well and congrats on the new home! It looks so great!

Blake Jones said...

Hey, how do you do the ruffles on a shirt? Did you see it on the internet somewhere or just figure it out? I want to do that to some of Remi's shirts. Also where do you get her short and long sleeve shirts that are plain. I can only find ones that have designs on them. Like the brown one she has on under the first dress you made her. All her stuff is so adorable!

Kandis said...

I get her plain shirts at Old Navy. As for the ruffles, I just messed around with those but they are super easy. I cut an 8 inch strip (which you can cut any length you want) by 2 inches wide. I then set my straight stitch to the longest it would go (I sewed it at a 4, which is 4 mm right?) And once that is done, you take one piece of thread and start pulling which will then start gathering the fabric. So I did this for both the knit material and the sheer material (I made the sheer material 3 inches wide though so that is would show through under the knit ruffle. I then placed the knit ruffle on top of the sheer ruffle and sewed a straight stitch down the middle (sewing them both onto the shirt) with the straight stitch set back to its normal settings. Let me know how it turns out. I'm a major fan of ruffles right now!

Kandis said...

I failed to mention that you originally sew a stitch right down the middle of the single strip of fabric, and then pull the thread to gather...I told you what to set your stitch to but didn't tell you what to do with it. You might have figured it out but thought I'd tell ya anyway.

Kellie said...

I wish I could see this girl everyday! Your sewing projects are so fun to see.