Monday, June 23, 2008

PHILADELPHIA


We flew out to Philadelphia on June 7th and spent three days there before we drove to DC. We arrived in Philly the same day the heat wave struck the East Coast, not the best timing I must say. We toured the city in 100 degree heat for six hours, it was a killer! The kids did great though. I loved how old that city was, the buildings and bridges were sooo historic and neat looking, I loved it! We saw the Federal Reserve Bank, the United States Mint, Benjamin Franklin's Grave, Benjamin Franklin's homesite (pics above of the white outline), the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and a few others. We started off our day with what better? ROCKY!!! Adam was quite excited to see those famous stairs.


We took a tour through Independence Hall, which you might remember from National Treasure. It really was pretty crazy to be in the same building that the Founders stood and signed the Declaration of Independence. I think Adam enjoyed my many questions on American history, I had my own personal tour guide this entire trip.


As we were walking around, we came across this giant sand castle creation, I've never seen one of these in real-life, the detail was amazing.

5 comments:

Zach and Sarah said...

As a fellow graduate of American Studies at BYU, I can agree that your trip looks absolutely fascinating. I would LOVE to go to all those sites. Good luck while Adam's gone (I've been there:-).
Sarah
p.s. Check out the lady's shorts to the right of Adam in the picture from the 80's.

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Gotta Love Philly...to make the trip truly wonderful you have to get creeped out by a homeless man like Jenny did. She looked at this guy and smiled, said hello and he says right in her face, "a smile like that could get you killed"! I peed my pants and we went on with our day.

Glad you had fun...your family of 4 looks FAB!

Bryan and Marissa said...

What a sweet trip guys!

Criscell said...

Looks like you guys had a blast on your vacation! I'd love to go there (and D.C.) someday too!

CYD said...

I wish I'd known you were here! We're only 45 mins from Philly. If you remember can you email me your phone number so we can call you and Kelly when we're in Alabama. We're there from July 10-26. Are you even around then?!?!?