Monday, May 31, 2010

NOTE TO SELF:

QUARANTINE ENTIRE FAMILY TWO WEEKS BEFORE FUTURE VACATIONS. Not joking. Nothing is worse (for me) than having sick kids on Vacation. I'm always worrying about them, about other people getting it, me getting it and making the situation worse, ruining our plans, etc. And this weekend seemed to top them all, and surprisingly (with the current illness situations) we've had an AMAZING weekend.

Scenario one: I watched two girls on Tuesday. Wednesday, the mom took that little girl to the doctor and she had Strep Throat. So when we left on Thursday for California, I was hoping we were in the clear. Friday morning Lincoln wakes up with a RAGING fever and kept it up all day - he was miserable. We were able to squeeze a trip into the Minute Clinic to see if it was Strep Throat. The quick test was negative so they had to re-swab him and send it in for testing (I'll find out tomorrow). Still not quite sure if that's what he has cause he's relatively happy but was miserable last night.

Scenario two: Kenedee woke up Saturday and Sunday morning with really puffy eyes, random. Saturday evening (DISNEYLAND!!!) we were at dinner in California Adventure when Kenedee shows me her hand saying that it hurts. I can't really see anything, maybe two little dots and she keeps scratching it. Think nothing of it. Sunday morning I send her in for a shower with Dad. I take her out of the shower, lay her on the bed, unwrap her towel and find HER ENTIRE BODY COVERED IN SPOTS! Not good. I wonder if she might have had an allergic reaction with her puffy eyes and all, wonder if it could be Chicken Pox but can't think of anyone we know who's had it recently. So Adam runs to the store before Church so we can give her some Benedryll, which knocks her out for the last part of church. Adam's mom has a nurse friend at Church so she had her come look at Kenedee when church ended... CHICKEN POX! I'm in shock, what! And nothing worse than having it on Vacation. Which apparently you're exposed 14 days before actually showing signs, not cool - this baby hit out of nowhere! (And I'm pretty sure she's been vaccinated. I'm calling the Doctor tomorrow to make sure, not that it makes a difference now, but not fair!) She's actually been a complete trooper and happy as ever. The oatmeal baths and dousing of Caladryll started today so we'll see how the next few days go. And to make things worse, Lincoln's belly looks like a few dots might be appearing, guess I'll find out tomorrow if he has Strep Throat and Chicken Pox at one time. So that's our weekend.

As for the good times that we've had, Adam's parents have treated us to a wonderful weekend. We went on a cool hike (Friday) to Rose Valley Falls in Ojai. Friday night we left the kids with a sitter and they treated us to a Broadway play - South Pacific. Saturday was DISNEYLAND (we scored some super cheap tickets from some friends, bonus!). The kids were so excited for Disneyland and we LOVED our day there. Sunday was Church of course (and yes by this time we've infected half of California with Chicken Pox and maybe Strep Throat :) Hope your Memorial Day weekend was a great one!

3 comments:

Chelsi said...

that is so hard having sick kids on vacation but it is bringing back memories for me I also had chicken pocks while on vacation in disney land so I know how she feels!!

A. Kuhni said...

That's CRAZY!!! I can't believe she got chicken pocks! So sorry that you got that and strep to deal with. That's Harsh! I totally feel for you. We have had our fair share of illnesses and it's so not fun!!! Hope they get better quickly.

allie said...

Are you serious?!?! Wow. Bummer for sickness but glad you could still be with family! :o) Hope everyone recovers quickly!