Tuesday, June 1, 2010

NOTE TO SELF:

NEVER LEAVE THE HOUSE.
Joking. But the last 24 hours have been some crazy ones.

Good News: Lincoln doesn't have Strep Throat and Kenedee doesn't have the Chicken Pox.
Bad News: Kenedee & I spent the day at the Children's Hospital in LA.


It all changed quickly at 3 AM today when Kenedee woke up screaming from scary things in the room. I won't go into details cause I don't like to think about it but she was basically hallucinating for the next 3 hours, with things coming and going. She refused to go back to sleep (I think she was scared) and was wide awake. Her eyes were dilated and wouldn't shrink. I started to panic. At 5:30 AM I called our doctor in Atlanta (8:30 their time) since I knew Kenedee's records were still there and I knew I could talk to a nurse, I needed to talk to someone! I explained that I thought Kenedee had Chicken Pox, now she's hallucinating, etc. The nurse asked questions about the Chicken Pox and said they should be blistering by day two, well we were on day three and no blisters. I then started to panic that she has some crazy illness that is taking over her body and brain! NOT FUN! The nurse didn't think this was Chicken Pox and to take her right in to a Childrens Hospital, so on our way we went.

We got right in, saw many doctors (checking out the rash), had three IVs put in since the first two didn't work - frusturating. They put the first one in her right hand, burst the vein so they went for her left hand. By this point she was screaming bloody murder, and fighting like crazy. Second IV didn't work so they had to go for the third. By this time they had three nurses strapping her down (she's one tough girl) and I sat there holding her head still, something I never want to do again. They finally got the third in and were able to draw lots of blood for testing. She popped the blood vessels in her neck from screaming so hard so they then had to watch those. After blood tests, urine tests, and a Mono test, she looked healthy. So all they could tell me was that this must be a virus that is manifesting itself in this impressive rash and the hallucinations 'could' be from the virus. Uh thanks. She never had a fever at all so they weren't too concerned about an infection in the brain, good news. After about 8 hours we were discharged and came home to sleep. She is exhausted, happy to be at Grandma's, and somewhat nervous to sleep (poor girl). Hopefully this rash will go down sooner than later and the hallucinations are gone for good. I gotta be honest, I'm not too excited for tonight. She's a trooper that girl. I'm super thankful it wasn't some crazy disease and happy that she'll recover soon. Situations like these make you EXTREMELY GRATEFUL for your healthy times.

8 comments:

Amy said...

Wow super scary and that rash looks awful. Hope she sleeps well tonight and gets better soon. Seriously so sad :(.

A said...

What in the world is it then??? Poor Ken-nah-nee, keep us posted!

Jackie said...

Oh my gosh! How scary! I hope this passes quickly.

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Holy Cow! Poor thing!

Melissa said...

Poor little Kenedee! I hope she gets better soon.

Amber said...

I can't believe what you've been battling these past couple of days-- and on vacation too! I am teary just reading about Kennedee's struggles in the hospital. I don't think you have really experienced motherhood until you've held your child still while they're screaming so that they can get the care they need. We will pray for all of you!

Hanah Bonilla said...

Holy Cow Kandis!! That must have beeb so hard as a mommy to see that :-(

That breaks my heart, but she looked great today and I'm so glad she is better!!!

Jennifer Shippen said...

Oh my gosh that is so crazy. Poor thing! My little dude got a rash that looked a like that, he was on antibiotics a week before the rash broke out so we always assumed it was from that, but we were out of town and around a hot tub, so maybe she was allergic to something. That is so crazy, the things we go through as mothers.