My parents were soooo nice to fly every one of us out for the Funeral. So our flights were booked and in we all flew on Friday the 10th. The viewing was held that night there in Bountiful, UT. It was a little overwhelming for me to see him that night because he looked NOTHING like my Grandpa who I saw just two weeks earlier...a true witness that his spirit was gone. Kenedee & Lincoln had a hard time with it also. Lincoln just kept asking 'what did he turn in to?' over and over again. It's just too hard for them to grasp what really goes on at such a young age. And Kenedee just kept asking me who that was. I'd say 'Grandpa Great' and she'd laugh 'that's not Grandpa Great!' So it was clear that my Grandpa was now in heaven.
My aunt put together quite the display for my Grandpa...

This is a picture of the last time he played the piano, days before he went into the hospital with pneumonia. Pretty impressive. He was an AMAZING pianist and organist. He'd always wake us up when we'd come to stay with his energetic songs :)

I didn't realize how involved with the Church my Grandpa was until I met Adam really. I knew he worked for the Church his entire life but that's all I really knew since he retired when I was little. Once I met Adam (Mr. Historian himself) he couldn't believe how involved my Grandpa was with the history of our Church. Funny thing is, he had just taken a test our first week of dating and my Grandpa's grandpa was an essay question on his test. Pretty crazy. He made me realize, wow, my Grandpa did some pretty AMAZING things! He started working for the Church at 18 years old and retired at the age of 70, working 52 years for the Church serving as Church Historian, Archivist, you name it. So it was fun to see the posters & pictures from his working days.


The Olson Grandkids...Lincoln, Asher, Olivia, Scout, Benson, Kenedee & Cooper

Grandpa's Funeral was held on Saturday, December 11th at the church across the street from his house. It was full of many tears but happy ones since it was a day to fully celebrate my Grandpa's 94 years of life!

The Olson Children - Earlene, Janalyn, & Craig (dad)

My immediate fam...

My kids with cousins (they were such troopers that day)...

My Grandpa was always a fan of parties so my Aunt brought a huge bouquet of balloons for everyone to let off to Grandpa Earl in heaven. The kids loved it...


We came back to the Church for a delicious luncheon. A-man and me...

Olson Family pic at the Luncheon...

After the Luncheon, we were told that there was a surprise for us Grandkids in Grandpa's basement. My aunts, uncle, & mom/dad were all in on the secret but the rest of us had no clue what was down there. We walked downstairs and found a pile of wrapped presents in the middle of the floor. Aunt Janalyn came up with the idea to wrap a bunch of items from Grandpa's house to give to each of us. So we were to open them in the form of a 'yankee swap'! One sweet idea! We loved seeing what was hidden behind the paper since we were all aware of every item in my grandparents house.


We all scored some winners. My favorites were a lime green vase from my Grandma great, and these wooden carvings from Tahiti (my grandpa's favorite place to visit)...

I also had to document the Map on the wall of my Grandpa's basement. I would love to have something like this in our house one day. I remember as a kid looking at all of the places my grandparents had visited, and it's a lot...every state in the US, and more countries than I could name. They were quite the travelers with Church/work stuff and vacationing. There is a pin with the date on it for every place they've been...


It was one memorable weekend celebrating my Grandpa's life with my entire family (immediate & extended). He was one special guy and I am so grateful to be his granddaughter and to have known him for as many years as I did. I know he must have had an exciting reunion with my Grandma and those who have passed on before. We love you Grandpa Earl!!!
2 comments:
Sorry about your grandpa. He sounds amazing. We missed seeing everyone at Christmas this year, but enjoy the blog updates.
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you had a wonderful time at the funeral. I think I remember meeting you at his house when Conner was little, is that right?
Hope you are feeling well. Miss you!
Post a Comment