Wednesday, August 26, 2009

my first SEW

I met a new friend out here. Crazy random how it all happened. I took the kids to an outdoor playground/splash pad area at a local mall. A girl walks up to me and asks 'do you have a sister named Kellie?' Well YES! She just so happened to recognize me from my sister's blog, crazy! She knew I lived in Atlanta (well used to) with Kellie and thought there was no way I could be in Arizona. She wasn't going to come ask me but thought 'what the heck'. Turns out that her husband was good friends with Kellie in college, which I remember going to his house with Kellie a few times. So we all went out last weekend and she invited me over to teach me how to sew the cutest little skirt. Her daughter has about eight different darling little skirts so I had to learn. We're talking about a $7 skirt, here, heck yes!

And here are my results from today. I bought more material for another skirt which she'll probably have to walk me through again before I could do it on my own, but I am addicted. I've already started looking at sewing machines online today and will hopefully have one before we hook up again to sew my second skirt. LOVE IT!


12 comments:

A said...

Nice work, rookie!

The Watts Family said...

That is too cute! Jealous, I need to learn how to do that stuff, I should have paid more attention when my mom was trying to teach me! : )

Chelsi said...

That is super cute way to go. They never have cute little things to sew for boys so i'll keep checking up on yours since you have a cute little girl to sew for!!!

Blake Jones said...

That is a cute skirt. I got my sewing machine for Christmas a few years ago. It is the least expensive one Wal-Mart had, but works great since I am not a fancy sewer. It does all the basics and has settings for buttons and zippers too. I love it!!!

Barlow Fam said...

That is darling, maybe I'll pull my machine out. :)

Caldwell Family said...

That is a way cute skirt!

Kellie said...

that is super cute. Yeah it could be a little shorter like you said but still super cute. GO SEWING, I'll have to post my burp cloths here soon. haha

Bryan and Marissa said...

Dang girl look at you go!!! Those are too cute!

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

My Kennedy has got the sewing bug! She has made the cutest stuff! Have you ever made a pillow case dress? You would LOVE it! Email me and I can show you the matching dresses she made for Kennedy and Reagan!
Great job by the way! We love the fabric!

Audrey said...

I knew your husband at BYU. He was in my freshman ward. We too live in the Phoenix area. Didn't Adam go to law school? Is he working at a law firm down here? My husband is. Anyway, tell Adam hello. I'd love to hear from him on my blog. AND, I love that skirt you made. What a talented lady you are!

Jennifer Lomenick said...

Kandis, I am Jennifer Lomenick and somewhat a cousin to Adam. My mom and Dennis are cousins. I was wondering if you had a tutorital for this skirt? I am having a sewing bug and want to make skirts for my girls since I can't find matching ones (5 and 3). I just have to have someone teach me how to sew.

Jennifer Lomenick said...

Kandis, I am Jennifer Lomenick and somewhat a cousin to Adam. My mom and Dennis are cousins. I was wondering if you had a tutorital for this skirt? I am having a sewing bug and want to make skirts for my girls since I can't find matching ones (5 and 3). I just have to have someone teach me how to sew.