Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Allergy Testing!!!

February 3rd was Pierce's two week check-up from his initial visit with Dr. Jain and his intense skin makeover routine. Between these two visits I took Pierce in to get a blood test for allergies so we could compare that with his back test that Dr. Jain would do that day. I wasn't too excited about getting his blood drawn and holding him down but again, this boy was a champ. He watched the nurse put the needle into his arm, didn't even flinch, and looked around the room talking the entire time she was drawing blood. Once she was done, she took it out and Pierce just kept talking away. Pierce, you amaze me!

Back to the appt...so it had been two weeks since I had been working on getting his skin healthy again. You can tell from the picture but his body was PERFECT: the softest, smoothest skin since the day he was born. I was a happy mom! But his cheeks weren't quite there yet, which made sense since I was using a weaker ointment on his face and I couldn't have his cheeks completely covered in water during his baths. So my new assignment was to use the stronger ointment for the next 3 days to try and knock it out, and then use a milder one to keep it under control.

On to his allergy testing...Pierce had three sections done on his back: a food, environmental, and a mix. They pricked him with all three sections and then we had to wait fifteen minutes to see what happened. I sat there watching the top one (group A) keep growing and growing, thinking 'what is my child deathly allergic to!' But I found out that this was the histamine one to let them know that the test was working, PHEW! The doctor came in and compared this with his blood test and the results are in...DAIRY, EGGS, PEANUTS, and CATS. I was breathing a sigh of relief that he wasn't allergic to soy since he'd been on soy formula from two months on (I wondered if that was maybe why his cheeks were still bad but no). Overall it was good and bad to hear. I knew he was allergic to dairy but it's not fun to think about how I'll have to figure out what to feed this child over the next few years, and forever if he doesn't grow out of them. Cats...no problem. We will never own pets but the rest are kind of a pain.




1 comment:

Tiffany W said...

It sucks, I know. We've been doing this for the last 3 years and it is no fun reading labels on everything every time you buy them. And not fun having the kid in nursery that makes it so no one gets the "good snacks" like goldfish. But be grateful that he is such a nice boy because it's not fun telling someone over and over again that they can't have things. But it's definitely easier when they just say ok. There are so many resources available now that make it easier. You're a great mom who cares and that will make life so much better for Pierce.